This is what we did this week:
- Talked about solar flares, the magnetosphere, auroras, excited molecules, photon emissions, and various other astronomy stuff with the six year old. I was just about her age when I did a science fair project about sun spots, so it’s an extra special happy moment for me.
- Taught the ten year old about programming, using GameMaker.
It’s a really nice program! We finished two short game tutorials
already and he has a lot of ideas about where he wants to go from here.
Anyone have any ideas for learning how to make nice game sprites and icons? I think our artistic abilities (or lack thereof) are going to trip us up…
- The three year old has actually been well-behaved lately. I’ve had time to do things for myself. I get to rest when I need to, which is nice. Plus, I’m learning how to play the guitar using Rocksmith (fun!), finding time to solder a little solar project together (muscle wires are so cool!!), plant my plants, play with the other kids, make music with Mixcraft, and so forth.
- The weather finally turned warm! The cold weather really drains me. It makes me hurt all over, no one ever wants to go outside, I always miss the sun, and I can’t plant more things in the garden. The kids played outside a lot! It’s about time.
- I started my tomatoes, peppers, and lavender downstairs and my cool weather crops outside! The girls and I also planted some flower seeds in their new flower garden.
A great site for growing food: Grow It Eat It at the University of Maryland
- Finally saw the cherry blossoms with the kids — we missed the past two years. We spent a lovely afternoon and evening with their grandparents.
National Cherry Blossom Festival
- I ate ahi tuna, a hamburger, and a turkey and swiss sandwich this week. Small victories! (Long story, health stuff. I’ve been living on boring mush for a few weeks).
- I’ve lost about ten pounds in four weeks. It was accidental (and really quite miserable at the time) but it’s a nice silver lining to my angry storm cloud of health nonsense. I have twenty more to go.
- I planned some more field trips for the kids (yay!) now that the weather is better. I really want to do a lot more traveling then we have. It’s just very difficult with my eating issues and dragging around a three year old.
- The kids are so much better at helping clean things up, when they are motivated to. It’s still a giant mess around here. I have no idea when it will ever be a decently organized place to live, but at least sometimes it seems like it might get better, eventually.
It was a good week.